Credit card chargeback 8


Some good news today! More and more backers report successful credit card chargebacks. They simply claimed a chargeback based on Triggertraps decline to deliver Ada. Based on the quite clear Kickstarter ToS, credit card companies seem to interpret them the same way as we did here and charged back the money.

The process can take some writing, as Kickstarter is not a “default” online shop order, but some tipps we can give for a successful chargeback:

  1. Hurry! You cannot claim a chargeback anytime you want. There are deadlines you have to keep in mind.
  2. Also, the important date is not the date where your credit card was charged, but when Triggertrap announced that they won’t deliver (March 2nd). That was the day when it became clear that you won’t get what you’ve paid for. Your credit card company will claim that the delivery date was due in March 2014, so that way too late. But Triggertrap changed the delivery date multiple times with understandable reasons – movement of shipping dates is something you accepted as backer, so it’s part of the contract. You became aware of the problem only on March 2nd 2015 – this is the relevant date.
  3. Make clear that Kickstarter is not an investment. You don’t get shares of the company or product. Your pledge also is not a donation, as you were promised a product and paid a price very close to the market value (see the FAQ “Are kickstarter projects really obligated to deliver?” for the relevant ToS sections you should quote in your request).
  4. Claim your chargeback on the fact that Triggertrap refuses to deliver and offers only partial refunds which is not in line with the Kickstarter ToS
  5. If you have accepted one of Triggertraps offers, it could get a little bit more complicated. The 50% store credit or donation option could be seen as a payoff – loosing your claim for a full refund. For the 20% refund, I would still try to get the remaining 80% – just tell your credit card company, that the refuse to refund the whole amount and only gave you 20%. If you did not respond at all, Triggertraps “fallback” to a 50% store credit is nothing you have to accept (not responding can never be seen as a approval!!!) and you can still claim a full refund. Just don’t use the store credit, as this could be seen as acceptance of their offer.

Please share your mails and stories with your credit card company in the backers only forum here on backertrap.info so that other backers can get help on their charge backs.


Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please complete the following task: *

8 thoughts on “Credit card chargeback

  • person278

    YES!! Great news! Credit card companies have much more common sense than Kickstarter and TriggerTrap.

    Everyone should at least try to get a chargeback, even if they have already received one of TriggerTrap’s tricks to try to avoid a full refund. There is zero downside to asking for a chargeback, and great upside!

  • Sofa-Lofa

    Agreed, for most people who have paid by credit card this should be a viable option,
    I paid on my debit card but I am going to ask at the bank to see if I am covered by any ‘consumer protection’ type thing, I don’t hold out much hope though,
    I’ll let you know how it goes

  • kaehlys

    Australian here. My credit card is through Westpac and they’re refusing to do a chargeback due to the initial transaction being so long ago.

    • person278

      Have you tried emphasizing that despite ordering a while back, the delivery date was promised to be coming soon, and you notified them shortly after the problem / broken promise occurred?

  • davelyon

    Just received a full (£190) credit back from my UK credit card company less the £38 I’ve told them Triggertrap payed me via PayPal

  • ripoff

    Hi, I have been trying ti sign up as a backer but no one has responded. I am trying to get the 168 page pdf to try to get a chargeback
    Thanks

  • PixelGlow

    After lodging a cashback request in June, I just heard from my bank.

    They stated that the merchant (visa) had refused a cashback because the original transaction was in 2013 (despite my having provided extensive documentary evidence to explain why the claim was lodged so late)

    Fortunately, my bank (Heritage Bank in Australia) were kind enough to refund the full amount “as a gesture of good faith” – my contact there always supported my right to claim and they were great (even if it took this long to get the money back).

    So for those backers in Australia (especially those with Heritage), I would say “hang in there” – provide them with as much information as possible, and you should get a refund.